- 2pk of store-bought frozen pie shells
- optional: beaten egg white
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs raw chicken sliced into 1″ cubes
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can sliced potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bottle beer 12 oz. – Due South Caramel Cream Ale or the Honey Vanilla Wheat are both AMAZING with this recipe.
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (a packet of bullion/seasoning powder works well)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 teaspoon Lipton Onion Soup mix
- 1 can condensed Cream of Chicken soup (unprepared)
- 1/2 cup milk
Chicken: Warm large skillet to medium high. Add olive oil to the frying pan with the poultry seasoning, pepper, garlic powder, onion soup mix and stir. Add chicken, lightly brown (about 8 minutes) . Add the beer, cream of chicken soup and milk. Add the frozen vegetables and reduce heat to medium (the can of potatoes will be added for the last 5 minutes). Simmer for approximately 25 min. Start to preaheat oven to 375 degrees when the simmer starts. Add the can of potatoes for the last 5 minutes (not a big deal if they’re added earlier, they just might get a little mushy). Remove from heat when the liquid has thickened. Let stand for 5 minutes to allow for further thickening. If it ends up a little thin, just don’t add all the liquid to the shell when you put it together.
Bottom Crust: While simmering your chicken filling, put one shell in the oven EMPTY. Bake at 375 for about 8 minutes. This step keeps that bottom crust from getting mushy when you add the filling.
Assemble Your Pie: Fill your lightly browned pie shell with the chicken/vegtable filling. Put the uncooked pie crust on top. Cut 4 slits in the top for venting. Optional but highly suggested: Use a pastry brush to add the lightly beaten egg white to the pie crust so it will brown nicely.
Baking: Bake at 375°F for 15-20 minutes until crust is golden brown. You should put a cookie sheet below your pie to catch anything that might bubble over.
Makes 4 generous servings.