- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, cracked away from skin and crushed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- A couple pinches salt
- 2 1/2 dozen mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
- 1/2 bottle of malty beer, such as Due South’s Caramel Cream Ale
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
In a deep skillet with a cover preheated over medium high heat, add oil, garlic and onion. Season with salt. Saute 2 minutes. Arrange mussels in the pan. Pour in beer and shake the pan to combine. Cover pan and cook 3 minutes or until mussels open. Remove from heat and spoon sauce down into shells. Garnish with parsley. Serve immediately from the pan.
OPTION: For an extra kick, seed and chop 1 jalapeno and add at the beginning. Add 1 diced tomato when you pour in the beer. Substitute the parsley with cilantro.